State lawmakers approved new four-year limits on Michigan's cash assistance program last week. The changes mean 114 cases in Calhoun County and 11,162 around Michigan will lose welfare benefits starting Oct. 1, according to the Michigan Department of Human Services.
So far this year, the food bank's distributions are already up 22 percent from a record-breaking 2010, Randels said.
Nancy MacFarlane, CEO of Community Action, which helps low-income families in Calhoun and three other counties, said the organization simply won't be able to take on the extra need."We help people until we run out of money," she said.